Sexual Harassment: Do you know???

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) definition of sexual harassment is, “unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature” when:

1. Submission to the conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition to your employment.
2. Submission to or rejection of the conduct will be used as the basis or employment decisions affecting you.
3. The conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with your work performance or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive working environment.

  • Sexual harassment can be physical, verbal, or non-verbal.
  • Sexual harassment can be a single incident or a pattern of incidents.
  • Sexual harassment occurs between man/woman, man/man, or woman/woman.
  • A sexual harasser can be your boss, a co-worker, OR a business customer or associate.
  • Sexual harassment includes unwelcome messages sent to your home computer or personal phone.
  • Sexual harassment is based on whether YOU find the behavior unwanted.

Please refer to this table for Sexual Harassment Examples. (You will have to rotate your screen to see the table correctly.)

Sexual harassment complaints should be made to your supervisor if the harasser is a co-worker or business customer, higher level management if the harasser is your supervisor, or to either the EEOC or the Kansas Human Rights Commission (KHRC).

Please phone the EEOC toll-free at 1-800-669-4000 to submit basic information about a possible charge. They will forward your information to the EEOC field office in your area. Once the field office receives your information, they will contact you to talk to you about your situation. The EEOC will investigate complaints if the employer has 15 or more employees.

Kansas Executive Order 07-24 prohibits discrimination and harassment based on race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, military or veteran status, or disability status.  Complaints can made with the KHRC if the employer has 4 or more employees beyond the employer and immediate family members (parent/child/spouse). Please phone toll-free at 1-888-793-6874 to speak with an intake specialist.

For more information please refer to each agency’s respective webpage on contact information for filing a complaint:

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Kansas Human Rights Commission