Category Archives: Information

Kansas Alcohol Related Laws page added

A page on Kansas Alcohol Related Laws has been added to this website.  It can be found under the Traveling in Kansas tab.  The page includes a Spanish/English brochure on Drunk Driving and lists the different alcohol related laws in this state.  It includes a link to the Kansas Safety Traffic Resource Office which has much information on traffic safety.



New Immigration Services Page Added

A new page has been added to the Kansas Monitor Advocate website under the Kansas Programs & Agencies tab.  The new Immigration Services page provides website contact information for the Wichita and Kansas City U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services field offices and Kansas Catholic Charities which provide immigration assistance.  Finally, the page includes information and links for lodging complaints of Notario Fraud with the Federal Trade Commission or the Kansas Attorney General


Ag. Worker Protection Page Added

A page about the Worker Protection Standards (WPS) and pesticide exposure information has been added to this website.  It includes links to the Kansas Department of Agriculture’s online complaint forms and numbers to call in case of pesticide exposure.  The page also includes an English and Spanish flyer on what to do if anyone is exposed to pesticides.

Thank you,


Are you owed back wages?

Please visit this site’s WOW page if you think you are owed back wages as a result of a USDOL Wage and Hour Division (WHD) investigation.  It gives you information on a new online tool for searching if WHD is holding wages for you.  The search tool is available in English and Spanish.  The page also includes the WHD’s toll-free help line phone number.

To find the page, please point your mouse to the “Filing Complaints” tab to open a drop down menu then click on the WOW sub-tab.  You will find the page by opening the site’s menu on your mobile device.


Traveling in Kansas page added…

KanDrive logo

A new Traveling in Kansas page has been added to the Kansas Monitor Advocate website.  This page provides information about Kansas Department of Transportation information for travelers, including phone numbers and websites to access road, construction, and other information.

Kansas Organizations Page Updated

The Kansas Organizations page has been updated.  Each of the organization’s pages received a cosmetic update and new pages were added for the Tri-State CAMP Program and for Project KANCO (CAMP) Kansas State University.  Please visit the Organizations page to see the full list.

Thank you,


Filing Complaints Page Updated

The Filing Complaints page on this website has been updated.  The Spanish version of the Kansas Department of Labor’s Claim for Wages is now downloadable from this site.  All complaint forms provided on this site may be completed online but must be printed for submission.  Please see the page for further information.

Thank you.


USDOL Extends PY14 Agricultural Outreach Plans

On April 27, 2015, the U.S. Department of Labor announced States’ Program Year (PY) 2014 Agricultural Outreach Plans (AOP) are  extended through June 30, 2016.  This extension, announced through USDOL TEGL No. 13-13, is to give states time to transition to the new Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA).

A copy of the existing Kansas plan can be found as a download from this site.

PY2014 Kansas Agricultural Outreach Plan Final.


Applying for a U.S. Work Permit

USCIS logoA work permit is formally known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).  Issuance of an EAD is processed by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  The process is described at their website:

Although the URL above includes the term green card, an EAD is not a green card.  The green card is the card which shows a person is a legal permanent resident.  If a person has a green card they don’t need an EAD.  The two cards are quite different.

Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization is used to apply.  The instructions for completing form I-765 contains a complete list of eligible categories.  It is found at:

It is best for an interested individual to contact an immigration attorney, assuming the individual is not in the U.S. undocumented.  However, if the person is a youth and undocumented, they may qualify to apply under the Deferred Action for for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.  More information about DACA is at:


Upcoming Deferred Action for Parental Authority (DAPA) Seminar

El Centro de Topeka and the Consulado de Mexico de Kansas City will conduct an informational seminar on Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA) this Sunday, February 8, 2015, from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. at the Marlo Cuevas-Balandran Activity Center in Topeka.  The Center is located at 216 NE Branner Street, Topeka, Kansas.

Attorney Jessica Piedra will present information on how individuals can apply for the program made possible by President Obama’s Executive Action.

DAPA is a discretionary form of immigration relief.  Eligibility for DAPA is determined by USCIS (U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services) on a case-by-case basis.  To qualify for DAPA:

  • you must have been physically present, continuously, in the United States since January 1, 2010.  You will not qualify for DAPA if you entered the U.S. after this cut-off date.
  • you must have a child who was born on or before November 20, 2014; if your child is born on November 21, or thereafter, then you are not eligible for DAPA.
  • you were physically present in the United States on November 20, 2014, the date that DAPA was announced.
  • you have no lawful status on November 20, 2014.
  • your child must have either a green card (legal permanent resident) or U.S. citizenship. Parents of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients are not eligible for DAPA.
  • you must not have committed any serious crimes or otherwise have become a deportation enforcement priority, under the revised guidelines explained in Policies for Apprehension, Detention and Removal of Undocumented Immigrants Memorandum published on November 20, 2014.

DAPA is not amnesty and it’s not a path to citizenship. DAPA doesn’t lead to a green card or permanent residency status.

Please contact El Centro at (785) 232-8207 for more information.


DAPA workshop flyer